Immigration Law

Immigration is a complicated area of the law. It is based on a federal code which lays out hundreds of rules, and then exceptions and waivers. The real question most people have about immigration is, what is the best way to allow me to stay in the USA? An immigration lawyer can review your circumstances and tell you which ways are available to you and give you an idea about how they would play out. Some common things we deal with in this office are applications under DACA, family based applications for residency, U Visa cases, and asylum cases.


Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, is a program that prevents law-abiding, undocumented people stay and work in the USA without having to worry about deportation. It applies to people who came to the USA as minors, sometimes referred to as Dreamers. It is not a basis for a green card at this time, but it can grant a temporary shield from deportation and give more time for American policies to change or for other ways to open up for a green card.

Family Petitions

In order to get a green card, or permanent resident status, a person must have a basis to seek an immigrant visa. If you have a child who is over 18 years old and is an American citizen, that is one basis. Another is if you married an American citizen. Another is if you are the unmarried minor child of an American citizen. These are the best options because the wait time is less. It is also possible to get an immigrant visa because you are the brother of an American citizen, but the wait is very long.

U Visa

Another basis for an immigrant visa and green card is the U Visa. The U Visa is available to victims of violent crime you assist the police in apprehending the criminal. This is only available to those who make a report to the police on a violent crime, like assault. If you have been the victim of a violent crime, the first step is to call the police and report the crime. It doesn’t matter how much time has passed. An immigration attorney can help you put the application together after you report the crime.


If you have no other basis for an immigrant Visa, you can still apply for asylum. Asylum is for people who have been persecuted or threatened in their home country. If you are afraid to return to your home country because the government is persecuting you, the USA may grant a petition for asylum and grant you a green card. The strongest cases for asylum are well documented, meaning if you are considering asylum, make sure you have records of the persecution and threats you experience. An immigration lawyer can help you determine your eligibility for asylum.


Our office bills for immigration cases on a flat fee basis. For most petitions we charge $2000 as a flat fee, payable in payments.

Free Consultations

Our office offers free consultations on immigration cases.